News and articles archive
1–10 of 13 articles | Next »
- Three communities revisit, update plans 1/24/2007
- During the past year the three NCP communities that participated in the pilot New Communities Initiative (NCI) have rounded the three-quarter turn back to the starting line. They have revisited their original, five-year-old plans, analyzing what’s been accomplished, what hasn’t, and what new needs have arisen.
- Day of the Dead celebration enlivens plaza 1/30/2006
- More than 100 people crowded the newly renovated Manuel Perez Jr. Plaza in Little Village on Nov. 1 to take part in the Mexican holiday celebration known as Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead).
- Humboldt Park partners up for action 1/28/2006
- Humboldt Park, led by Bickerdike Redevelopment Corp., has been a hotbed of NCP-related projects, with substantial progress on 25 of the 55 in its quality-of-life plan and total investment of $1.3 million.
- Free LCDC workshops prepare residents to protect and serve 4/17/2005
- Lawndale Christian Development Corp. (LCDC) has launched and is hosting a series of free workshops to prepare residents for a career with the Chicago Police Department.
- LSNA touts bill to train parents as teachers 4/14/2005
- A bill that would provide funding to train parents and teachers is being sponsored by Sen. Iris Martinez, who is working to educate other state legislators with help from the Logan Square Neighborhood Association.
- Lorington tenants fight to save building 4/13/2005
- Tenants of the Lorington Apartments are using a new state law sponsored by Sen. Iris Martinez to maintain their buildings as affordable housing.
- Agency Thumbnail: Little Village CDC 4/11/2005
- Little Village Community Development Corp. (LVCDC) is an organization focused on fulfilling both the "bricks and mortar" development and the programming needs of the Little Village community. The Little Village community ( La Villita in Spanish), also known as South Lawndale, is located on Chicago’s southwest side from Cermak Road/22nd Street on the north to the Stevenson Expressway on the south, and from Western Avenue on the east to Chicago's neighboring suburbs Cicero and Berwyn on the west.
- Agency Thumbnail: Quad Communities Development Corp. 4/10/2005
- Quad Communities Development Corp., formed to participate in NCP, serves the South Side communities of North Kenwood, Oakland, and portions of Douglas and Grand Boulevard. QCDC was formed in May 2003 in partnership with 4th Ward Alderman Toni Preckwinkle and institutional, community and public housing leaders.
- Agency Thumbnail: Near West Side CDC 4/9/2005
- Near West Side Community Development Corporation (NWCDC) was established in 1988. For the last 16 years, the organization has been actively developing affordable housing,organizing and providing supportive services to low and moderate income residents inthe West Haven community. Learn more about NWCDC's mission, accomplishments and key programs.
- In vibrant La Villita, some hard realities 9/5/2004
- The most vibrant neighborhood in Chicago—a place throbbing with music, labor and life—is not some hotspot on the North Side. It is Little Village, the reigning port-of-entry for the nation’s fastest-growing immigrant group. But beneath the surface this is also a neighborhood struggling with the full spectrum of urban challenges.
1–10 of 13 articles | Next »